August 23, 2011

Walking in Nashville

Most of you who knew Wayman well, would remember that he was a keen exerciser.
As a young man sport was a big part of his life, and when he stopped playing football, he took up jogging to stay fit.
I was never a jogger.

I flirted with a gym membership when my children were young, and surprised myself with how much I enjoyed it. I felt huge delight when I perfected the "grape vine" in the aerobics class, and managed to not bump into everyone else!

As Wayman got older his exercise program changed, and he started to walk in the mornings.

He loved it when I would join him.

It never came naturally to me. He would be out of bed and ready to go while I was still trying to put my feet on the floor!

Whenever we visited Nashville the walking regime was continued. I look back now and realise what an unhappy partner I must have been for him!
He would encourage me with his enthusiasm, coaxing me on to do just 5 more minutes, or one more street. I was a most ungracious wife, never enjoying the time, always finding it difficult and demanding.

Now I am in Nashville in my own, and I am walking every morning.

Admittedly, I don't go as far, or as fast as Wayman did, but I am taking responsibility for myself, and pounding the pavement to Krogers and back.

The irony is not lost on me. How I wish that I had been a more willing participant when I had the opportunity to walk with Wayman.

But I am grateful for the way he influenced me and gave me the desire to keep myself at least a little bit in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment