August 15, 2011

No limit

Years ago, [it seems like another life time ago] I was part of a womens' choir.
I have a strong musical heritage, but no training, and only the experience of singing in the pews on Sundays. But I joined with great enthusiasm, as did my friends and both my sisters.

To learn my part, our choir mistress would record my part on a tape, and I would learn it on my own so I would be able to hold my part when surrounded by others singing different notes than mine.
I would put that little tape in my cassette player in my car [remember them?] and play it over and over again as I drove to and from work. I was a working wife and mother then. I would learn the notes and words so well that I was confident to attend rehearsals, and hopefully not be a distraction for the other more proficient singers.

Yesterday a friend [from a different era of my life] sent me the words of a song we had learnt in that choir.
As I read those words, on the screen of a lap-top now, the melody began in my head.

I loved this song, and the truth of the words were always so comforting. The melody was very beautiful, and fitted so well with the sentiment of the song.

But as I found myself singing it to myself this morning, I realised that I now understood the words. They are mine to own now.

The truth of the lyrics hasn't changed, truth never does, but 20 or so years on I am having life experiences that put me right in the middle of these words.

It is written in rather old fashioned language, but I will leave it alone, because it flows better this way.

He giveth more grace when our burdens grow greater,
He sendth more strength when our labours increase!
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.

His love has no limit, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men,
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth and giveth and giveth again.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources,
Our Fathers' full giving is only begun

His love has no limit, His grace has no measure,
His power has no boundary known unto men.
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth and giveth and giveth again.


Thank you dear friend for sending me this, and thank you Ano Klesis for the beautiful sound
you are making in my head this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this song and your heart.
    Thanks for the reminder of The Truth and God's Word and
    how they never change.
    I am looking forward to spending some time with you as soon as
    you feel ready.
    You and your sweet Cassie and Nate are continually in our prayers.
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there mrs. ruth,

    my name is stephanie and i am a friend of nathan and cassie's here in nashville. i just caught up with cassie's blog and jumped over to yours when i saw the link on her page. i love the hymn that you just recited, a message from a friend. such beautiful lyrics. true for all who are suffering an going through pain now, in the past or in the future. praying for God's great grace over you, nathan, cass and your whole family as you use His compass, indicating true north, navigating through the murky waters of deep sorrow.

    i love your daughter and son-in-law immensely and am so greatful for their friendships. and i hope to meet you one day soon, in God's timing. i have heard so much about you over the last few years. :)

    much love to you,
    steph-

    ReplyDelete