September 1, 2011

Memorial for Jack and Lucy

Cassie and Nathan called their babies Jack and Lucy

The night before I left Nashville they held a memorial service for them.

Their pastor had encouraged them to do this as part of the healing process. Friends Wes and Linda Yoder have a family chapel on their property and they graciously allowed us to use it.



It was the perfect size for the twenty or so people they invited to share in this most intimate of times.


Belinda and Steph had arranged for flowers to be in the chapel from their families.




Aaron read Psalm 34, Nathan spoke of their heartache and hope, Craig encouraged us to mourn well and to look to Jesus, Chrissy read a prayer written by Katherine and we sang Abide with me.


Wes closed our time in prayer his voice resonating through the little building he is constructing for his family to honour God.

And we shed our tears.


The Yoders hosted us all for supper afterward in their home, and the time was well spent as good friends came together continuing to live while acknowledging the presence of death.


In the chapel I sat with a vacant chair beside me. I have spent times this last month questioning God and His purposes. Yet the faith he has given me has sustained me through these most difficult of times.



And that covenant faith has me confident that Wayman and his grandchildren are in glory together worshipping around the throne.

No comments:

Post a Comment