February 10, 2011

Jonno of Bridgy

Today I needed to discover what had happened to the car that we had abandoned on Monday.
Time to meet Jonno of "Bridgy".

I ventured into Bridgewater and found the busiest mechanical workshop I have ever been in.
There seemed to be dozens of men in blue overalls, crawling over and under cars inside the building and on many that spilled out into the yard. Grease was in plentiful supply.

I thought I fitted in fairly well in my dark blue top, but I think my white leggings were a give away. The men gave me a wide berth.

Jonno was in charge, and he seemed to know who I was without an introduction. He let the men in the workshop know who I was. I wondered why.

He clasped his hands in an interesting way, particularly for a mechanic and invited me into his office.
I looked around his workshop and couldn't see my car.

I became a little anxious.

He then explained the diagnostic techniques they had employed to try and find out what was wrong with our car. The process had been extensive.

My anxiety level increased.

Then he told me what they had found.

I had run out of fuel.

Now this was a most humiliating discovery. It has happened to me before, about 35 years ago, and the RAA man just gave the side of my car a bang that resounded with a hollow ring indicating an empty tank.

Today with computers in cars you need to investigate the problem much more extensively.
The men in the worksop were suitably sympathetic in a condescending sort of way.

In my defence, the fuel gauge was faulty and was stuck on 3/4 full.
Funny about how long I had driven on 1/4 of a tank of fuel!

Jonno had parked my car out on the road, ready to go, where it wouldn't be in way of the real work. He was attentive and pleased to be of assistance.

So my final word on this episode is:

Ladies wear white whenever you are planning to break down, or visit a garage, in my experience it brings out the best in friendly RAA men and highly efficient diagnostic mechanics.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha - wonderful!!
    I love the ay you tell it :)
    Love to you both - remember that you cant do 1000km on $20 of fuel ;)

    ReplyDelete