May 6, 2011

A friend called Frances

I first heard about Frances when Wayman was diagnosed. A friend at church told me I had to meet her.
Time went by and we have gone through the various treatments and have been wonderfully cared for by many different health professionals. We will return next week to see if Wayman is to continue with his current treatment.
Over the course of this journey an Oncologist, a radio-oncologist, an endocrinologist and four different GPs have all been involved. There have been many times when Wayman has been less than patient, waiting in rooms to be seen long after our appointment time has passed. More than once he has said in a not very subtle tone that "this would never happen in business!" I must admit I did chuckle one day as I witnessed another wife trying to quieten her impatient man who was struggling with a long wait!

But back to Frances.

We were put in touch with her by our GP. She is part of the palliative care team here. She is a most engaging woman, who has made us feel like her friends not her clients, which of course we are. We have been on her case list for quite some time now, and she has been checking on us regularly.
At the moment she visits us at home helping me to manage Waymans condition by providing equipment and the information necessary to access things I might need.

But more than that she talks to Wayman with honesty and common sense allowing him to have input into his care. She has helped him understand the progress of this disease and has given him insight into what is to come in this life. I am very grateful for her expertise and manner, that have helped us navigate a most difficult time. Wayman wants to stay at home and to be cared for here. Frances will provide the various supporting services that will enable this to happen.

She has also been my confidant as I try to care for Wayman. She understands the difficulties I face and has helpful advice for me as she has seen many spouses go through this process.

Praise God for Frances!

Pray also for Wayman and I as we work together to keep him comfortable and engaged through the next little while. Pray also for Belinda, Angus, Steph and Shane as they help me.

Cassie and Nathan have a very exciting and busy May and are planning to be back here some time in June. Pray that they may be of use for the kingdom in the coming weeks.


1 comment:

  1. Praying for you Ruth - so thankful you have people like Francis to help you out, and the support of your beautiful family.
    do hope you got a little bit spoilt yourself for Mother's Day!
    love,
    Kaye
    xxx

    ReplyDelete