November 2, 2011

Grandmas day


Today I had my first ever Grandparents day at school.

C has chosen to call it Grandmas day, and that's fine with me.
It is a bit daunting to arrive at a day like this on your own, but I was cared for immediately by friends who I don't know very well, but who took me under their wing compassionately.

We started in chapel, this is the view I had of C sitting with his teacher and friends.


We then had time in his class room looking at his work, he showed me around the school, and I enjoyed morning tea with other GPs. this was followed by a school presentation. All is well in the world when primary school students are given a clarinet and put in the school band to entertain us with songs arranged to include the few notes that they can play.

I remember that stage all to clearly!

The highlight of the day was at the end.
We were meant to bring lunch to have with the children.
I had stayed a little longer in the concert hall than many others talking to an old friend, and I thought rather than eating my lunch with C, I would just quickly visit him in his area, and say goodbye.
Cs teacher saw me coming across the yard, and I heard her say, "Here she is Charlie!"

He had worried that I wasn't coming. He had saved half his lunch for me,
two rather battered triangles of vegemite sandwich and the left over crumbs from his muffin.
He shared his drink bottle with me, I am glad his Mum has provided the type that does not allow any "backwash"!
I felt very loved as I sat awkwardly on the common area floor.

Gods plan to put us into families is pretty good, don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet grandmother - not only to participate in the activities of the
    day and share a lunch with your little guy but to so eloquently blog about
    it to your friends. Isn't it fun receiving glimpses of God's love through the lives of your grandchildren. We miss you in east nashville. Lisa and Cassie spent some time together this afternoon. Love keeping up with you.
    Regina

    ReplyDelete