October 3, 2011

A holiday in Singapore

Tomorrow I head to Singapore for a week with Belinda and her family.
I have packed my bag, and am ready to go. Having flown to Nashville to see Cassie and Nathan in August, I am not feeling anxious about going without Wayman.

But there is something about this trip that has made me realise how much my life has changed.
With Wayman we always managed to fly premium economy or business class on long trips. He had the FF statis to be able to obtain upgrades whenever he needed to.

Now I am on my own, I haven't got that pull. It has made me realise how much we can take for granted a position of privilege. This time there is no extra baggage, or leg room, no priority boarding, and no white cloth on the meal tray. It is a humbling thing when these extras are removed.
Why am I telling you this?

This tiny inconvenience has made me think about how much Jesus gave up. His position as king was put aside so he could become a man, and not a man of privilege, but an ordinary man.

He would not have had priority boarding, or a white cloth on the meal tray, he would have had an economy class seat.

And he did it to give me a way to have a relationship with him.

I am humbled, and repentant of my sense of loss, and expectation that privilege is my right.

I am grateful that my family want me on this trip, and I will enjoy the really important things.



2 comments:

  1. What a helpful comment Ruth. I grew up with such a position of privilege, and thanks to G's grandfather's generosity, G is always able to get into the Qantas Club. When I travel on my own, I lose all status that come with travelling either with G or Dad.

    What a helpful reminder of how much Jesus gave up for us! Like a free meal or upgrade could really compare!

    I will remember that when I travel on my own at the end of the month - thanks!

    Have a wonderful holiday - we love Singapore.

    W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruth, for so gently reminding us of all that we take for granted,
    daily. Can't wait to read all about your trip. I visited and had tea with your sweet Cassie yesterday afternoon. She is doing quite well and Nate is taking such good care of her. What a genuine and fun couple to be with. She seems to be healing inside and out. We both talked about how much we are missing you.Have a fun trip with your kids. love, regina

    ReplyDelete