March 5, 2011

The runaway pumpkin plants


When we planted our veggie patch I announced to son-in-law number one that I had put in four pumpkin plants.
He smiled knowingly, as he has a veggie patch and knew something that I didn't know.
They can take over a garden and four plants was way too many!!!!

So I have watched my runaway pumpkins

take over the garden............


cling to the fence..........



climb the stairs........



head for the creek.....


and invade the farmers paddock!!!!!


All the time these plants are producing pumpkins

under the foliage.......



hanging on the fence.....



and sitting neatly on the sleepers!


I am not sure if there is a moral to my story, but perhaps there is a lesson to be learnt.
Next year I will share my punnet of seedlings with Angus and halve the problem!


I am still wondering how much further they will go.


There is a whole farm out there just waiting to be taken over!

1 comment:

  1. Wow... glad I didn't plant any in my tiny courtyard garden...

    ReplyDelete